Experience Counts When Your
Liberty Is At Risk
The Law Office of John Freeman defends people in Metro Detroit and throughout Michigan against criminal charges in federal and state court. This is all we do. No dabbling in other areas of law. No stretching ourselves too thin. We are “all crime, all the time,” so you can be confident that we have the depth of knowledge required to defend you against any charge
Our founder, Attorney John Freeman, come to these cases with a storied, 30-year career in the field of criminal law that encompasses roles on both sides of the aisle, many complex and high-profile cases, and an impressive record of success.
Law Office of John Freeman, Troy, MI, November 2007
- Providing comprehensive state and federal criminal defense representation at affordable prices
- 10 Best for Client Satisfaction, American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
- Top 100, National Trial Lawyers
- Top 100, American Society of Legal Advocates
- Legal Advisory Board, United States Concealed Carry Association
- Member, White Collar Crime Committee, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Criminal Law Advisory Board, State Bar of Michigan, Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- 10.0 Superb Rating, Top Attorney, AVVO
United States Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of Michigan, Detroit, MI, Assistant United States Attorney, Criminal Division, November 2000 to November 2007
- General Crimes Unit, 2000 to 2007
- Top Secret (SCI) Security Clearance, 2001 to 2007
- Immigration and Border Coordinator, Anti-Terrorism Task Force, 2001 to 2004
- Regional Quad-Chair, Project North Star, 2001 to 2004
- Representative, United States and Canada Cross-Border Crime Forum, 2001 to 2004
- Founding Member, Detroit / Windsor Integrated Border Enforcement Team, 2001 to 2004
Responsibilities included all aspects of the investigation, prosecution, trial, sentencing, and appeal of federal criminal cases.
- Handled a wide range of cases, including murder, robbery, murder-for-hire, kidnapping, national and international narcotics and weapons trafficking, weapons possession, national security matters, international alien smuggling, marriage fraud, visa fraud, tax fraud, embezzlement, threatening communications, criminal organizations, and official corruption.
- Established and maintained working relationships with federal, state, and local law enforcement and intelligence agencies, including ATF, ICE, FBI, DEA, IRS, Border Patrol, Coast Guard, Secret Service, Postal Inspection Service, State Department, Michigan State Police, county sheriff’s offices, and local police departments.
- Formed close partnerships and served in a leadership role with Canadian Law Enforcement agencies, including RCMP, OPP, CBSA, CSIS, Ontario Provincial Weapons Enforcement Unit, Toronto Police Department, and Crown Attorneys, and addressed cross-border matters of mutual interest to American and Canadian law enforcement and intelligence agencies, including alien smuggling, narcotics and gun trafficking, terrorism, and obstacles to effective enforcement along the Northern Border in the wake of September 11, 2001.
- Appeared before 17 of 19 U.S. District Court judges in Detroit, Ann Arbor, and Port Huron, and every U.S. Magistrate in Detroit.
- Received awards and special recognition from various law enforcement agencies.
New York County District Attorney’s Office, New York, NY, Assistant District Attorney, Trial Division, September 1993 to October 2000
- Homicide, 1999 to 2000
- Supervisor, Early Case Assessment Bureau, 1999 to 2000
- Felony Assistant, 1995 to 2000
- Welfare Fraud Unit, 1996 to 1997
- Misdemeanor Assistant, 1993 to 1995
Responsibilities within the Trial Division’s vertical system of prosecution included all aspects of a variety of criminal cases from pre-arrest investigation to sentencing.
- Presented over 160 cases to the Grand Jury, including Murder, Attempted Murder, Assault with a Deadly Weapon, Burglary, Arson, Weapons Possession, Sale and Possession of Controlled Substances, Reckless Endangerment, Grand Larceny, Auto-Theft, Possession of Stolen Property, Driving While Intoxicated, Leaving the Scene of an Accident, Criminal Contempt, Forgery, and Welfare Fraud.
- Performed felony and misdemeanor jury trials.
- Completed pre-trial suppression hearings involving Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Amendment issues.
- Supervised felony and misdemeanor Assistants in the Early Case Assessment Bureau and assigned incoming cases.
- Supervised, assisted, and trained junior attorneys in the courtroom and Grand Jury.
- Trained new recruits at the New York City Police Academy.
- Worked with the NYPD on pre-arrest investigations and rendered advice and assistance on matters such as lineups, photographic identifications, probable cause to arrest and the seizure of evidence.
- Evaluated over 1500 cases immediately following arrest and made charging decisions.
- Conducted over 1000 arraignments and bail hearings.
- Interviewed hundreds of witnesses and questioned numerous defendants after arrest.
- Handled all types of pre-trial motions, including discovery, suppression, speedy-trial, and severance.
- Negotiated hundreds of plea bargains.
To learn more about Attorney Freeman, click on the link below:
Contact A Criminal Defense Lawyer For A Free
For a free consultation with the Law Office of John Freeman in Troy, Michigan, call 248-250-9950 or
send us an email.
In an emergency, call 313-330-2653 at any time of day or night.